SHAH ALAM, Feb 3 — Sultan of Selangor Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah Alhaj has called on authorities to impose the maximum penalty against Selangor FC fans who set off flares on the Kuala Terengganu Drawbridge recently.
According to a statement by Istana Alam Shah, the Ruler said the punishment should be a warning to other Red Giants supporters not to repeat such behaviour, which occurred ahead of Selangor FC’s Super League match against Terengganu FC on Sunday.
“His Royal Highness, in his capacity as Selangor FC Patron, expresses deep regret and disappointment over the incident.
“The Ruler does not consent to immoral activities such as the culture of thuggery and gangsterism that is increasingly rampant among local football supporters, especially those wearing Selangor FC jerseys.
“His Royal Highness wants police to identify the masterminds behind the incident and, if found guilty, those involved must be punished with the maximum and appropriate penalty in accordance with the law,” it said in the statement posted on the Selangor Royal Office’s Facebook page.
The Sultan also proposed that supporters convicted of causing disturbances be banned from attending Selangor FC matches.
He reminded club supporters to behave and to uphold the good name of the team and Selangor.
Yesterday, it was reported that 33 Selangor FC supporters had been remanded for drug possession, testing positive for illicit substances, and obstructing the duties of public servants during the commotion on the Kuala Terengganu Drawbridge.
Initially, 412 Selangor FC supporters travelling in 10 buses were detained in the Sunday evening incident and taken to the Terengganu police headquarters for urine tests.
Of those, 21 tested positive for tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), while three were held for ganja possession and are being investigated under Section 6 of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952.
Nine others were arrested for the possession of flares, with investigations being conducted under Section 8 of the Explosives Act 1957.
Earlier today, Selangor FC strongly condemned the incident, calling it unlawful and a threat to public safety.
State executive councillor for youth, sports and entrepreneurship Mohd Najwan Halimi said yesterday that the state government would not tolerate any action that tarnishes the image of sports or Selangor, and would leave the case to police to investigate.


