KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 17 — Malaysia incurs up to RM30 billion in socio-economic losses each year due to road crashes, said Works Minister Datuk Sri Alexander Nanta Linggi.
He said the figure is based on the economic value of the risks associated with deaths, including loss of productivity and income, treatment costs, as well as the impact on families and society.
“However, despite all these calculations, the loss of life still cannot be valued in ringgit,” he said in a post on X today.
Nanta said the findings on the socio-economic impact of road crashes were presented at a Cabinet Committee on Road Safety and Congestion meeting chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.
He said that last year alone, road crashes killed 6,537 people, equivalent to an average of 18 deaths a day.
Nanta said what is particularly worrying is that 80.6 per cent of crashes are attributed to human factors.
“This shows road safety is not the responsibility of a single ministry alone. It requires a comprehensive approach encompassing education, enforcement, technology and safer infrastructure.
“In this regard, the Works Ministry’s (KKR) position is clear. We do not want to merely repair roads after crashes occur. We want to build and maintain safer roads that reduce risks and minimise human error,” he said.
Nanta added that the RM30 billion is more than an economic cost; it reflects the wide impact of road tragedies on families and society.
“The greatest loss is the loss of loved ones. We must not regard 18 deaths a day as normal. Every life saved is a victory for the people,” he said.







