SEREMBAN, May 21 — A babysitter detained to assist investigations into the death of a seven-month-old baby boy at a house in Bandar Sri Sendayan near here last Tuesday has been remanded for six days until May 25.
Seremban police chief ACP Azahar Abdul Rahim said the remand order against the 38-year-old woman began yesterday, and the case is being investigated under Section 31(1)(a) of the Child Act 2001.
“The post-mortem results have yet to be obtained to determine the cause of the incident, and investigations are still ongoing,” he told Bernama here today.
Yesterday, the media reported that the baby was believed to have become unconscious while under the care of the babysitter at her house in Bandar Sri Sendayan.
The victim was taken to a nearby clinic before being sent to Tuanku Ja’afar Hospital for further treatment, but was pronounced dead after cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) efforts were carried out.
Investigations found that at the time of the incident, the baby was believed to have been put to sleep in a cradle and given a silicone pacifier.
Meanwhile, Negeri Sembilan Social Welfare Department (JKM) director Muhammad Yusry Che Dah said investigations found the childcare centre was unregistered and operating without approval under the Child Care Centre Act 1984.
He said several children were under the woman’s care and the premises had been ordered to cease operations.
“Most cases involving the death or injury of children occur at unregistered babysitting homes and childcare centres,” he said.
He advised parents to always choose registered childcare centres to ensure children are cared for according to regulations, and to prevent unwanted incidents.
“We want to educate the public to send their children to registered childcare centres because approved premises have undergone proper safety inspections and monitoring by JKM, the Fire and Rescue Department, local authorities and others.
“Do not look only at cheaper costs because this involves children’s lives. Parents need to be more careful and take preventive measures from the beginning,” he said.
He also urged babysitters and childcare centre workers to attend the free Asuhan Permata course offered in the state to expose them to safe childcare methods and emergency handling.








