Former Fauci aide pleads guilty to concealing Covid-19 records

19 Aug 2026, 4:12 AM
Former Fauci aide pleads guilty to concealing Covid-19 records
Former Fauci aide pleads guilty to concealing Covid-19 records

NEW YORK, Aug 19 — A former adviser to infectious disease expert Anthony Fauci pleaded guilty yesterday to conspiring to evade public records laws and conceal government documents related to grant research funding and the COVID-19 pandemic.

David Morens, who worked under Fauci as a senior official at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) during the pandemic, entered his plea to a conspiracy charge during a hearing in federal court in Greenbelt, Maryland.

The 78-year-old was indicted in April on charges related to what prosecutors said was a scheme to thwart public records requests received by the agency beginning in April 2020 concerning COVID-19 research grants.

He faces up to five years in prison when he is sentenced on November 12.

“By pleading guilty today, Dr Morens has taken responsibility for what he did, and he will continue to do so,” Timothy Belevetz, his lawyer, said in a statement.

The plea came after Fauci, who led NIAID for 38 years and became the face of the US pandemic response, appeared before a Senate panel last month and repeatedly invoked his right against self-incrimination as he accused Republican Senator Rand Paul, a longtime adversary from Kentucky, of pursuing an “unhinged” campaign to see him imprisoned.

The origins of COVID-19 remain unresolved. The FBI said in 2023 that a leak from a Wuhan laboratory likely caused the pandemic, a claim China said had “no credibility whatsoever”.

Anthony Fauci, former director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) and medical adviser to several US presidents, attends a US Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, US, on July 29, 2026. Fauci declined to answer questions, invoking his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination. — Picture by REUTERS

The CIA said in January 2025 that a laboratory leak was likely, but with “low confidence”, while four other US intelligence agencies and the National Intelligence Council believe the virus most likely emerged through natural transmission from an animal.

Prosecutors said Morens' plea related to the National Institutes of Health's decision to cancel a research grant involving bat coronaviruses, based on allegations that COVID-19 emerged from the Wuhan laboratory. The China-based laboratory had received a sub-award from the company that received the grant.

Prosecutors said Morens pledged to help restore the bat coronavirus grant and counter the narrative that COVID-19 leaked from a laboratory.

Anticipating that their communications would be sought through Freedom of Information Act requests, Morens and others agreed to correspond using his personal email account instead of his government account, prosecutors said.

Categorynews

What do you think?

Latest
Media Selangor
About Us

Media Selangor Sdn Bhd (MSSB), a subsidiary of Menteri Besar Selangor Incorporated (MBI), is the official media agency of the Selangor State Government. In addition to the Media Selangor news portal (formerly known as Selangorkini & Selangor Journal), Media Selangor also publishes newspapers in Mandarin, Tamil, and English.