Appellate court upholds man’s 30-year sentence for murder, discharging firearm

18 May 2026, 8:08 AM
Appellate court upholds man’s 30-year sentence for murder, discharging firearm

PUTRAJAYA, May 18 — The Court of Appeal has upheld the 30-year prison sentence imposed on a former college lecturer for murder and discharging a firearm during a bank robbery four years ago.

A three-member bench led by Justice Datuk Noorin Badaruddin, sitting with Justices Datuk Mohd Radzi Abdul Hamid and Dean Wayne Daly, dismissed the prosecution's appeal seeking enhanced sentences.

Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP) Mohd Zain Ibrahim had sought either the death penalty or 40 years' imprisonment for Chai Kong Wee @ Chia Kong Wee on the murder charge.

He also requested that the sentence for discharging a firearm be increased to at least 35 years.

Alternatively, Zain asked that the 30-year sentences imposed for each charge run consecutively rather than concurrently.

In delivering the unanimous decision, Justice Noorin said the High Court judge had properly exercised his discretion in sentencing to avoid an aggregate sentence that was manifestly excessive.

She added that there was no sufficient basis to interfere with the sentencing order made by the High Court judge.

Chai, 42, pleaded guilty to both charges at the High Court on August 6, 2025, and was sentenced to 30 years' imprisonment and 12 strokes of the cane for each charge, with the sentences ordered to run concurrently from the date of sentencing.

He was accused of killing security firm personnel Muhammad Aiman Hakim Md Zakri, 21, at a bank along Jalan Prima Utama in Taman Puchong Prima, Puchong, at 5.50pm on March 11, 2022.

He was also charged with firing shots toward the ceiling during a robbery at a bank in Subang Square Business Centre, Subang Jaya, at 4.30pm on September 3, 2020.

During proceedings, Zain described the murder as brutal, noting that a deterrent sentence was necessary because the respondent had carefully planned the robbery and shooting before carrying it out.

He argued that the prison sentences should run consecutively, as the offences were separate transactions committed at different locations.

However, court-appointed counsel Muhammad Rafique Rashid Ali countered by saying that Chai's lengthy custodial sentences had already kept him behind bars for a considerable period.

"He will not see his freedom," he said.

Rafique also noted that the accused had been sentenced to 30 years' imprisonment and 12 strokes of the cane in two other similar cases, with those sentences ordered to run consecutively, as well as an additional 13-year sentence for attempted murder.

What do you think?

Latest
MidRec
Media Selangor
About Us

Media Selangor Sdn Bhd (MSSB), a subsidiary of Menteri Besar Selangor Incorporated (MBI), is the official media agency of the Selangor State Government. In addition to the Media Selangor news portal (formerly known as Selangorkini & Selangor Journal), Media Selangor also publishes newspapers in Mandarin, Tamil, and English.