Steep climb eased: Batu Caves escalator to go ahead

9 Feb 2026, 4:11 AM
Steep climb eased: Batu Caves escalator to go ahead
Steep climb eased: Batu Caves escalator to go ahead

By Amar Shah Mohsen 

SHAH ALAM, Feb 9 — The proposed construction of an escalator at the Batu Caves temple can proceed as long as it does not infringe on land or the rights of others, Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim said today. 

The prime minister said the matter has been conveyed to both Sultan of Selangor Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah Alhaj and Menteri Besar Dato' Seri Amirudin Shari, and that there is no objection from the federal government. 

"I discussed this with the Menteri Besar, and yesterday, I happened to be with the Sultan of Selangor. I raised this matter, asking for the Sultan’s opinion. 

"The Batu Caves temple has received the necessary approval and permits. The escalator was proposed because of the steep climb. 

"My view is that as long as it does not interfere with our land or infringe on the rights of others, it can proceed so that the Hindu community can continue their practices. I shared this view with Amirudin and there is no objection." 

Anwar said the government would only object to the construction of illegal structures on government or private land. 

He said this in his speech during the National Unity Ministry monthly assembly in Putrajaya today.

Previously, in January 2024, it was reported that the Batu Caves Hindu Temple Management plans to build an escalator as an alternative to the 272 steps for devotees and visitors to reach the temple.

However, on January 8 this year, State Special Committee of Buddhist, Christian, Hindu, Sikh, and Tao Religions in Selangor (Limas) co-chairman Papparaidu Veraman said the state government has rejected an application for the construction of the escalator after it was submitted in an individual’s name.

Later on January 19, DAP Chairman Gobind Singh Deo said the state government and the temple management have reached an understanding to proceed with the proposed project.

Sri Maha Mariamman Temple Devasthanam chairman Tan Sri Nadarajah Ratnam had also said that the long-standing issue was expected to be resolved by July, and that Amirudin had assured him the remaining hurdles were purely technical and would be settled within months.

DAP Chairman Gobind Singh Deo and the management of Batu Caves Temple pose for a photograph after discussing the elevator issue, at Batu Caves, on January 18, 2026.


Latest
MidRec
About Us

Media Selangor Sdn Bhd, a subsidiary of the Selangor State Government (MBI), is a government media agency. In addition to Selangorkini and SelangorTV, the company also publishes portals and newspapers in Mandarin, Tamil and English.