WHO cuts appeal for health emergencies to US$1b in 2026

3 Feb 2026, 10:33 AM
WHO cuts appeal for health emergencies to US$1b in 2026

GENEVA, Feb 3 — The World Health Organisation (WHO) is appealing for US$1 billion (RM3.93 billion) for health emergencies this year, down by a third from last year, as donor funding falls and amid doubts about contributions from its former top donor, the United States.

“We’re focusing on those most in need, where we can save the most lives,” WHO executive director Chikwe Ihekweazu told a Geneva briefing today, saying the funding would go to 36 emergencies, including Sudan, Ukraine, and Palestine’s Gaza.

“We are deeply worried about the vast needs and how we will meet them,” he added.

Ihekweazu denied that the WHO would fully withdraw from any crisis. “What we have done is, in each of those contexts, is we’ve maybe not done as much as we would like to do,” he told reporters.

The US officially left the WHO on January 22, faulting the global health agency for its handling of the COVID-19 pandemic. The WHO has vigorously defended its record.

Washington was a major contributor to both the WHO’s emergency appeal, which relies on voluntary donations, and its wider budget based partly on mandatory member fees.

Ihekweazu said last year that Washington was not a major donor to the emergency appeal, naming top contributors as the European Union, Saudi Arabia and Germany.

Latest
MidRec
About Us

Media Selangor Sdn Bhd, a subsidiary of the Selangor State Government (MBI), is a government media agency. In addition to Selangorkini and SelangorTV, the company also publishes portals and newspapers in Mandarin, Tamil and English.