Blacklist for contractors if projects delayed — Nanta

3 Feb 2026, 6:35 AM
Blacklist for contractors if projects delayed — Nanta

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 3 — The Works Ministry (KKR) has warned that strict action, including blacklisting, will be levelled against contractors who fail to complete projects under the ministry within established timeframes without reasonable grounds.

Works Minister Datuk Seri Alexander Nanta Linggi said an internal study by the ministry found that about 75 per cent of project failures were caused by contractors’ own shortcomings.

He said these included weaknesses in project and financial management, procurement and stockpiling of construction materials, manpower management, as well as failures by supervising officers to manage payments in accordance with work that had been verified as completed according to specifications.

“Contractors are entrusted with implementing projects responsibly, as every cent spent involves the people’s money and public funds.

“I will not hesitate to take firm action if project implementation does not comply with the contractual terms and specifications that have been set,” he said at a ceremony to hand over letters of acceptance for the Sibu Prison construction project at the Public Works Department (JKR) headquarters here today.

Nanta added that KKR would nevertheless continue to consider contractors facing genuine difficulties, especially those arising from factors beyond their control that disrupt smooth project implementation.

He said the ministry has strict standard operating procedures in handling project delays, in line with its target of eradicating ailing or delayed projects.

“The longer a project takes to be completed, the longer the public has to wait to benefit from government initiatives. In this case (Sibu Prison construction), delays would also prolong congestion in Malaysian prisons,” Nanta said.

Latest
MidRec
About Us

Media Selangor Sdn Bhd, a subsidiary of the Selangor State Government (MBI), is a government media agency. In addition to Selangorkini and SelangorTV, the company also publishes portals and newspapers in Mandarin, Tamil and English.