ADMINISTRATION

Putra Heights residents remain resilient and determined to rebuild their lives

12 Apr 2025, 8:13 AM
Putra Heights residents remain resilient and determined to rebuild their lives
Putra Heights residents remain resilient and determined to rebuild their lives
Putra Heights residents remain resilient and determined to rebuild their lives
Putra Heights residents remain resilient and determined to rebuild their lives
Putra Heights residents remain resilient and determined to rebuild their lives

KUALA LUMPUR, April 12 — Residents of Putra Heights, Subang Jaya, remain resilient and determined to rebuild their lives despite the devastating gas pipeline explosion and fire on April 1, which left many of them without homes and belongings.

Housewife Salbiyah Ariffin, 63, said she and her husband are committed to repairing the damage to their house, which they regard as a cherished haven.

[caption id="attachment_397246" align="alignleft" width="380"] Housewife Salbiyah Ariffin, 63, speaks to Bernama about her family's experience with the April 1 Putra Heights gas pipeline fire during the Mega Cleaning Operation to clear residents' homes at Kampung Kuala Sungai Baru on April 12, 2025. — Picture by BERNAMA[/caption]

“My husband is determined to fix the damage because this house is like our castle. The roof and the front garden were affected. Today, volunteers came to help clear the charred plants.

“I have disaster insurance for the house, so an insurance officer came by to carry out an assessment,” she told Bernama, expressing her gratitude to the volunteers who helped with the cleanup under Ops Mega today.

Bernama observed cleanup crews beginning to arrive at the site as early as 9am to begin clearing the affected area.

The two-day Ops Mega, which starts today, involves four zones: A, B, C, and D.

Salbiyah, who was celebrating Hari Raya Aidilfitri with her children and grandchildren on that day, described it as the most terrifying experience her family had ever faced.

They were forced to jump into a river over two metres deep behind their house to escape the blaze.

“I tore a ligament in my leg when I jumped into the river. Now, I have to use a wheelchair because I cannot stand for long periods. The doctor said I will be able to walk again, but it will take time to recover.

“My three grandchildren were also safe after the jump. I will never forget what happened. We are deeply traumatised by the incident,” she said.

[caption id="attachment_397247" align="aligncenter" width="818"] (from left to right) Kampung Kuala Sungai Baru residents Ahmad Robani Ahmad Baharudin, 29, and his father Ahmad Baharudin Hamid, 56, survey their home, which was severely damaged by the April 1 Putra Heights gas pipeline fire, during the Mega Cleaning Operation to clear residents' homes at Kampung Kuala Sungai Baru on April 12, 2025. — Picture by BERNAMA[/caption]

Meanwhile, Ahmad Baharudin Hamid, 56, a Kampung Kuala Sungai Baru resident, remains positive and is determined to move forward with his family, despite nearly half of his home being destroyed by the catastrophe.

He estimated that it would cost around RM400,000 to repair the damage, based on the amount he had previously spent renovating it.

“We just have to move on with life. We will rebuild and repair the house. So far, the damage is limited to only the living room and roof,” he said.

Ahmad added that the family was severely traumatised, especially his daughter, who still vividly recalls the flames raging right before her eyes.

“So far, only my son and I have returned to inspect the house. My wife and daughter have not been back; they are still too traumatised,” he said.

[caption id="attachment_397248" align="alignright" width="410"] Engineer Ahmad Robani Ahmad Baharudin, 29, speaks to Bernama about his family's experience with the April 1 Putra Heights gas pipeline fire during the Mega Cleaning Operation to clear residents' homes at Kampung Kuala Sungai Baru on April 12, 2025. — Picture by BERNAMA[/caption]

His son Ahmad Robani, 29, said the Public Works Department and Fire and Rescue Department personnel had inspected the house to assess whether it was safe for occupancy.

“We are currently waiting for the government to carry out a damage assessment. For now, our family is staying at the temporary relief centre in Masjid Putra Heights until further notice,” said the engineer at a private company.

Earlier, Menteri Besar Dato' Seri Amirudin Shari flagged off over 4,000 personnel, comprising volunteers and members of various agencies, for the large-scale cleanup operation in the areas affected by the gas pipeline blaze in Putra Heights and Kampung Kuala Sungai Baru.

The explosion, which occurred at around 8.10am on the second day of Hari Raya Aidilfitri, sent flames more than 30 metres into the sky. Temperatures reportedly reached up to 1,000°C, and the fire took nearly eight hours to be fully extinguished.

The incident resulted in the complete destruction of 81 houses with structural damage exceeding 40 per cent, while another 81 were partially destroyed.

Fifty-seven homes sustained damage without catching fire, and 218 homes remained unaffected.

— Bernama

[caption id="attachment_397250" align="aligncenter" width="1116"] Destroyed cars and a badly damaged home affected by the April 1 Putra Heights gas pipeline fire seen during the Mega Cleaning Operation to clear residents' homes at Putra Heights and Kampung Kuala Sungai Baru on April 12, 2025. — Picture by MOHD KHAIRUL HELMY MOHD DIN/MEDIA SELANGOR[/caption]

Latest
MidRec
About Us

Media Selangor Sdn Bhd, a subsidiary of the Selangor State Government (MBI), is a government media agency. In addition to Selangorkini and SelangorTV, the company also publishes portals and newspapers in Mandarin, Tamil and English.