Malaysian detained in Pakistan scam call centre raid released, returns home

22 Aug 2026, 10:18 AM
Malaysian detained in Pakistan scam call centre raid released, returns home

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 22 — A Malaysian man detained by Pakistani authorities during a raid on a fraudulent call centre in Islamabad recently has been released and has safely returned home.

Bukit Aman Commercial Crime Investigation Department (CCID) director Datuk Rusdi Mohd Isa said investigations found that the 32-year-old man had no connection to the scam syndicate under investigation by Pakistani authorities.

He also confirmed that the man was the only Malaysian arrested in the special operation.

"He has been released and has returned to Malaysia,” Rusdi said briefly when contacted by Bernama today.

The CCID will record the man’s statement to assist further investigations into the incident.

Previously, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Mohd Khalid Ismail said a special team had been dispatched to Pakistan to investigate reports regarding the detention of Malaysians suspected of involvement in an online scam syndicate.

The Malaysian was among 258 foreign nationals detained by Pakistani authorities during the raid on the scam call centre.

Categorycrime

What do you think?

Latest
Media Selangor
About Us

Media Selangor Sdn Bhd (MSSB), a subsidiary of Menteri Besar Selangor Incorporated (MBI), is the official media agency of the Selangor State Government. In addition to the Media Selangor news portal (formerly known as Selangorkini & Selangor Journal), Media Selangor also publishes newspapers in Mandarin, Tamil, and English.