Shah Alam student assault considered a fight, not bullying, says JPNS

19 Aug 2026, 10:14 AM
Shah Alam student assault considered a fight, not bullying, says JPNS

SHAH ALAM, Aug 19 — The Selangor State Education Department (JPNS) today said a case where a student was assaulted and injured was a fight, not bullying.

JPNS director Datin Wan Nor Ashikin Abu Kassim said statements had been taken from both parties involved, according to a Sinar Harian report.

“The incident did occur at the school, but we performed mediation with the parents and conducted a thorough investigation.

“Based on the initial findings, it was actually a fight, not bullying,” she said when met after a Yayasan Menteri Besar Selangor (Incorporation), or MBI, event here.

Previously, a 15-year-old suffered head and ear injuries after allegedly being assaulted at a secondary school in Shah Alam.

Nor Ashikin said the school responded promptly by having the principal visit the student and arranging counselling services.

“The investigation … is ongoing, and we have handed the matter over to police for investigation. Whatever the parents do, including (if they want to lodge) a police report or take legal action, it is their right,” she added.

Nor Ashikin also said JPNS takes student safety and welfare seriously and will improve safety measures if shortcomings are identified.

“We do not conduct spotchecks every day because it takes time, but we have indeed arranged a schedule for these inspections,” she added.

Meanwhile, Yayasan MBI chief Ahmad Azri Zainal Nor said the foundation would introduce a student mental health intervention programme through a pilot project involving several pupils.

He said the foundation would assess the programme’s effectiveness using data and information provided by the school.

“This model is not one-off, but has a monthly (check-in) where student data and information will be provided by the school for us to work together and monitor the development of the students concerned.

“If there are improvements, we can bring this programme to other schools,” he added.

Azri said around 10 to 20 students identified as needing intervention would be enrolled in the programme, which would run for three to four months to assess their development.

Categorynews

What do you think?

Latest
Media Selangor
About Us

Media Selangor Sdn Bhd (MSSB), a subsidiary of Menteri Besar Selangor Incorporated (MBI), is the official media agency of the Selangor State Government. In addition to the Media Selangor news portal (formerly known as Selangorkini & Selangor Journal), Media Selangor also publishes newspapers in Mandarin, Tamil, and English.