Colombia's President pegs early quake losses at US$9.6b

18 Aug 2026, 3:09 AM
Colombia's President pegs early quake losses at US$9.6b
Colombia's President pegs early quake losses at US$9.6b

BOGOTÁ, Aug 17 — The economic losses from a powerful earthquake that struck Colombia last week are expected to reach 30 trillion pesos (RM38.90 billion), said Colombia's President Abelardo De La Espriella.

The impact included roughly 24.5 trillion pesos (RM31.67 billion) in buildings and 5.5 trillion (RM7.1 billion) pesos in infrastructure.

"Just imagine the scale of the disaster. This is a preliminary figure that will be adjusted as we obtain more information and as the damage caused by this earthquake is assessed in each of the regions," he said on Monday, noting that the figures were likely to change.

The 7.4-magnitude quake toppled buildings in various parts of western Colombia, including the major cities of Cali and Pereira, killing 280 people, injuring more than 4,000, and leaving another 143 people missing.

By comparison, an initial assessment by the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction published last month reported that the earthquakes which struck neighboring Venezuela on June 24 caused damage to housing and infrastructure estimated at US$37 billion (RM149.9 billion).

The Colombia quake is the first major crisis facing De La Espriella, who took office just days before and now must oversee relief and reconstruction efforts.

Categorynews

What do you think?

Latest
Media Selangor
About Us

Media Selangor Sdn Bhd (MSSB), a subsidiary of Menteri Besar Selangor Incorporated (MBI), is the official media agency of the Selangor State Government. In addition to the Media Selangor news portal (formerly known as Selangorkini & Selangor Journal), Media Selangor also publishes newspapers in Mandarin, Tamil, and English.