Oil climbs as fading US-Iran peace hopes raise supply risks

18 Aug 2026, 1:50 AM
Oil climbs as fading US-Iran peace hopes raise supply risks

WASHINGTON/TEHRAN, Aug 18 — Oil prices rose on Tuesday as a deal to end the Middle East war seemed further out of sight, with Iran saying it will adopt a more offensive stance and the United States (US) ruling out extending a ceasefire agreement, heightening worries about energy supply.

On Monday, a senior Iranian official told Reuters that Tehran will shift to a "fully offensive" military posture because efforts to negotiate a permanent end to the war with the US have stalled, as Washington ruled out extending a temporary ceasefire agreement.

Outward progress towards peace talks and a resumption of oil tanker traffic through the strategic Strait of Hormuz has ground to a halt, threatening to extend the conflict that the US and Israel launched with attacks on Iran on February 28.

Brent crude futures climbed ¢27, or 0.3 per cent, to US$91.14 by 0003 GMT, after rising to their highest since July 30 on Monday.

U.S. West Texas Intermediate crude futures were up ¢42 to US$85.04 a barrel, after gaining more than one per cent earlier in the session to US$85.37, their highest since July 31.

"Oil has jumped to start the week as US-Iran relations look increasingly shaky. A deal to reopen the Strait of Hormuz still does not appear to be in sight, and shipping numbers remain at a trickle," said KCM chief market analyst Tim Waterer.

Kpler ship-tracking data indicated that following attacks on tankers, only five commodity vessels transited the Strait of Hormuz on Saturday, with none registered for Sunday, versus 31 in the prior weekend.

Yemen's Houthis attacked what they described as a Saudi military ship and four escort vessels in the Red Sea with missiles, according to the group's military spokesperson Yahya Saree on Telegram.

"The dual chokehold on the Strait of Hormuz and the Bab el-Mandeb remains highly significant. These are not secondary concerns. They sit at the centre of the current supply-risk narrative," KCM's Waterer said.

Iran has separately been negotiating an agreement with Oman to manage the Strait and says they are close to a deal. But Trump responded to those negotiations with a threat to bomb the Gulf state, a longstanding US security partner.

In a glimmer of hope for diplomacy, though, media reports said Trump had opened back-channel discussions with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

A preliminary Reuters poll showed that US crude oil stockpiles were expected to have fallen last week alongside product inventories.

Categorynews

What do you think?

Latest
Media Selangor
About Us

Media Selangor Sdn Bhd (MSSB), a subsidiary of Menteri Besar Selangor Incorporated (MBI), is the official media agency of the Selangor State Government. In addition to the Media Selangor news portal (formerly known as Selangorkini & Selangor Journal), Media Selangor also publishes newspapers in Mandarin, Tamil, and English.