Bondi shooting: Australian state gun buyback to start in November

16 Aug 2026, 4:13 AM
Bondi shooting: Australian state gun buyback to start in November

SYDNEY, Aug 16 — Australia’s New South Wales state will start a gun buyback in November, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said today, part of the national response to a shooting spree that killed 15 at a Jewish festival here on December 14 last year.

Albanese’s centre-left government enacted laws in January for the gun buyback, tighter checks for gun licences and a crackdown on hate in the wake of the gun attack at a Bondi Beach Hanukkah celebration in Australia’s most populous city.

The alleged gunmen used powerful firearms that were legally obtained. Australia had a record 4.1 million firearms last year, the government has said, with more than 1.1 million of those in New South Wales, its most populous state.

The buyback is to be Australia’s largest since a similar campaign after a 1996 massacre in Tasmania’s Port Arthur, in which a gunman killed 35 people.

Albanese and New South Wales Premier Chris Minns said in a statement the scheme would start on November 2 and that people returning rifles and handguns would be eligible for up to A$1,000 (about RM2,900) compensation per firearm.

“Australians are quite rightly proud of our gun laws, but the fact is there are more guns in Australia today than there were at the time of dealing with the Port Arthur gun buyback,” Albanese said in televised remarks.

New South Wales now limits individuals to possession of four guns under its own reforms prompted by the Bondi Beach attack, which police say was carried out by a father and son who police believe were inspired by the militant group Islamic State. The surviving suspect, Naveed Akram, 24, is yet to enter pleas to a raft of charges, including 15 counts of murder.

Categorynews

What do you think?

Latest
Media Selangor
About Us

Media Selangor Sdn Bhd (MSSB), a subsidiary of Menteri Besar Selangor Incorporated (MBI), is the official media agency of the Selangor State Government. In addition to the Media Selangor news portal (formerly known as Selangorkini & Selangor Journal), Media Selangor also publishes newspapers in Mandarin, Tamil, and English.