Son of Norwegian crown princess held in custody as trial begins

3 Feb 2026, 2:16 AM
Son of Norwegian crown princess held in custody as trial begins
Son of Norwegian crown princess held in custody as trial begins

OSLO, Feb 3 — A Norwegian court ruled yesterday that the eldest son of Norway's crown princess would be held in police detention over new accusations made against him ahead of a separate trial this week in which he faces charges of rape and other crimes.

Police said earlier that Marius Borg Hoiby, 29, son of Crown Princess Mette-Marit and stepson to Crown Prince Haakon, was apprehended on Sunday on suspicion of causing bodily harm, wielding a knife and violating a restraining order.

The Oslo District Court said in a statement it had agreed to a police request to keep Hoiby in their custody for the next four weeks to prevent repeated offences.

The ruling to hold him in detention remains subject to appeal. His lawyer told Reuters he was considering an appeal.

The Crown Princess of Norway, Mette-Marit, looks on during the celebrations of the Norwegian Constitution Day at Skaugum, Norway, on May 17, 2023.

Hoiby has so far been at large awaiting the trial, which begins today, on four counts of rape as well as domestic violence, assault and drug possession, among other crimes, one of several cases that have shaken the Norwegian monarchy.

He could face new charges from the latest allegations on top of the 38 counts he currently faces. His lawyer yesterday declined to comment on the new accusations.

Hoiby does not admit criminal guilt for the charges of rape and domestic violence, but has admitted to some lesser crimes and plans to give a detailed explanation of this in court, his lawyer has previously said.

His trial is due to last until March 19.

The case against Hoiby began in 2024 when police named him as a suspect in a case of physical assault against a woman with whom he had been in a relationship.

Hoiby, in a statement to the media at the time, admitted to causing bodily harm to the woman while he was under the influence of cocaine and alcohol and to damaging her apartment. Hoiby said he regretted his acts.

Latest
MidRec
About Us

Media Selangor Sdn Bhd, a subsidiary of the Selangor State Government (MBI), is a government media agency. In addition to Selangorkini and SelangorTV, the company also publishes portals and newspapers in Mandarin, Tamil and English.