Sultan says no latitude for mosque fund embezzlers

28 Jan 2026, 9:29 AM
Sultan says no latitude for mosque fund embezzlers

KLANG, Jan 28 — Sultan of Selangor Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah Alhaj today warned that misappropriation of mosque and surau funds would not be tolerated.

“I want to stress that (the entrusted funds) must be protected with the utmost responsibility, transparency, and integrity. I will not tolerate any embezzlement of mosque and surau funds.

“Mosque funds are contributed by the public and belong to Muslims, so the money must be used as much as possible for the benefit of Muslims, guided by shariah law.

“I don’t want Islam to be looked down upon by followers of other religions. Enough already with Islam’s sanctity being smeared with stories of embezzlement involving Malay Muslims who have been dragged to court over corrupt practices, misappropriation of funds, and abuse of power,” the Ruler said after presenting letters of appointment to mosque imam and nazir at Istana Alam Shah here today.

The Sultan added that mosque and surau accounts are managed in compliance with rules and procedures established by the Selangor Islamic Religious Department (JAIS) and Selangor Islamic Religious Council (MAIS).

“Financial reports must be submitted to JAIS or MAIS every four months … to ensure governance, accountability, and public trust,” the Sultan said.

His Royal Highness also issued a reminder that slander and defamation, especially over social media, be avoided as it could compromise Islamic brotherhood and unity.

“Let there not be those among us who enjoy spreading fake news, twist facts, or exaggerate small matters to the point of causing unease among congregants and the community.

“This matter cannot be taken lightly, as a misstep could cause discord in the community,” Sultan Sharafuddin said.

The Ruler added that nazir, including mosque and surau committee members, shouldn’t be so gullible as to believe fake news to the point of spreading it without first verifying it.

“All information must be thoroughly checked and its veracity confirmed, as slander is a greater sin than murder.

“Know that I follow updates and know what’s going on in the mosques and surau in this state, and I won’t hesitate to take strict action if need be,” the Sultan warned.

Meanwhile, His Royal Highness expressed pride that the Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah Mosque was the main Islamic tourism destination last year, having attracted over 100,000 visitors.

Sultan Sharafuddin said the achievement proves the mosque isn’t just a house of worship, dakwah, and education, but also an iconic destination in Malaysia for tourists including non-Muslims.

“I encourage (the management of) other mosques to take the same initiative in promoting their mosques in a moderate and orderly manner.

“This is in line with the role of mosques as houses of worship and Islamic landmarks that are a point of pride for Muslims, especially in Selangor,” the Ruler added.

At today’s ceremony, the Sultan presented letters of appointment for the 2026/2027 term to 850 mosque nazir and imam from across the state.

Previously, Selangor Grand Imam Dato’ Muhammad Farhan Wijaya said the Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah Mosque cemented its position as the nation’s Islamic tourism icon, when it recorded over 100,000 visitors.

He said the achievement reflects a growing interest in mosque tourism, adding that people from all over the world, including Europe, West Asia, Japan, and China, made the iconic mosque their main destination while travelling in Selangor and the Klang Valley.

Farhan explained that the increase in visitors showed that mosques aren’t just houses of worship, but are also places to spread the beauty of Islam.

Latest
MidRec
About Us

Media Selangor Sdn Bhd, a subsidiary of the Selangor State Government (MBI), is a government media agency. In addition to Selangorkini and SelangorTV, the company also publishes portals and newspapers in Mandarin, Tamil and English.