SEREMBAN, Feb 3 — The recruitment of 20,000 Education Service Officers (PPP) on a contract basis, to be implemented by the Education Ministry (MOE) from March, will not affect the opportunities of reserve teacher candidates.
Deputy Education Minister Wong Kah Woh said the ministry has discussed the mobilisation of reserve teacher candidates with the Education Service Commission (SPP).
“Candidates successfully interviewed but categorised as reserve teacher candidates need not worry as the opportunity to be absorbed into the education service is still bright.
“Reserve candidates have a bright opportunity, and it depends on the situation ... Perhaps they will be placed in primary, secondary schools and different options,” he told reporters at a school here today.
Wong said this in response to concerns from some reserve teacher candidates regarding the recruitment of 20,000 new teachers this year.
MOE director-general Mohd Azam Ahmad previously said applications for the recruitment of 20,000 DG9 grade teachers on a contract basis will open from March 2 to 20 to fulfil the need for teachers nationwide.
He said the mass recruitment initiative is part of the MOE’s initial preparations for the implementation of the National Education Blueprint 2026-2035, in addition to supporting the enrolment of six-year-olds into Year One next year.
Meanwhile, Wong said the recruitment of new teachers will focus on primary schools as it is a special recruitment to accommodate the entry of a larger Year One cohort.
Earlier, he said 45 Tamil primary schools in the state each received an interactive smartboard.
He said the RM540,000 initiative, undertaken through the Malaysian Indian Community Transformation Unit (MITRA), is hoped to empower students with digital technology skills.


