SHAH ALAM, Feb 2 — All parties have been urged to remain calm and refrain from taking unilateral action to demolish a temple in Petaling Jaya, as such action could otherwise fuel tensions in the multi-confessional community.
Free Malaysia Today reported state executive councillor for Islamic affairs and innovation Dr Mohammad Fahmi Ngah as saying that such actions are unlawful and contradict Islamic principles that emphasise noble character and a harmonious approach.
“The Islamic approach is not confrontational. Much of the Prophet’s da'wah was achieved through good character and virtuous conduct. People did not embrace Islam because of war.
"No, they accepted Islam because of its good values,” he said in an interview with selected media.
Fahmi added that confrontational actions would only invite division rather than resolve the issue.
“A more harmonious and moderate approach is better so that we can live together peacefully in a multi-religious country. If Muslims believe that Islam is the true religion but fail to demonstrate kindness and noble character, how can we expect this truth to spread further?
“I think it is time for us to show a friendly and approachable face of Islam, one that is ready to engage with followers of other religions,” he said.
Last week, Fahmi said that the state government would not provide replacement sites in relation to the encroachment of three non-Muslim places of worship on Islamic cemetery land in PJS 4, Petaling Jaya.
The site referred to in a Facebook post by user Tamim Dahri on January 23 had, in fact, long been zoned as a non-Muslim place of worship and had never been proposed as a surau site.
He noted that the state government has plans, actions, and a timeline in place to demolish the unauthorised structures, thereby allowing long-delayed cemetery development works by the Selangor Islamic Religious Department to proceed, which are expected to begin as early as June this year.


